NOTE to ease your gag reflex, since some people hate reading about feelings and people who love each other and admit it out loud (were you not hugged as a child?)… This post isn’t all wishy-washy and gooey with sticky sweet proclamations of love. It’s a look back at all the crazy things that have happened in what we consider to be the beginning of our “adult lives”!
On August 1, 2004, I first met and immediately started dating my hubs, Travis. On our first date, we watched Jeepers Creepers 2 and I kicked his ass at Mario Kart!
That was ten years ago today. TEN YEARS! That’s almost as long as I was in school! Longer than I went to college, longer than it takes to write a book or make a movie… LONGER than it takes to make a human being! If I would have gotten pregnant on the first date, I would now have a freaking 4th or 5th grader!
We met when we were 20 years old. I was living in an apartment in the not-so-nice part of the east side with my college roomie, and Travis lived with his sister right down the road! We were just about to turn 21 and neither of us really had any plans for the future. Aside from trying to figure out how to make a living and still have fun! I was in a boring part-time job right out of college. Travis was going to college and working as a nanny for his 2 year old nephew while his sister went to nursing school. We were just kids!
Because I LOVE to make lists…. Here’s a run down of our decade!
- We turned 21 AND 30… yuck!
- We have had 2 presidents.
- We lived in 4 different homes in 4 different suburbs—in 1 apartment, 1 townhouse, 1 duplex and 1 house.
- We bought our first house!
- We have gone through 8 vehicles. 6.5 of those were Travis’ – this list doesn’t include the “loaner” vehicles or our boat!
- We have had 2 dogs, 2 ferrets, 2 gerbils, 2 fish and 1 cat.
- I fell down 2 flights of stairs, almost cut my pinky off and Travis has had 4 teeth and 1 gall bladder removed!
- We collectively got 6 tattoos.
- We visited 3 countries and 4 states.
- We got married!
Some other memorable things that happened in 2004:
- The movie Mean Girls came out! Which I always imagined to be the next generation’s Clueless or Romy & Michelle’s High School Reunion, right?
- The Olsen twins turned 18. Ugh.
- Janet Jackson had a “wardrobe malfunction.” Where has she been since then?! Miss Jackson, if you’re nasty?
- Sex and the City ended… Good riddance!!
- Friends ended. I was never a fan but I know this paired with the demise of Sex & the City, my college roommate was near-suicidal.
- Facebook was invented. I’m not going to touch that one.
- A whale explodes in the town of Tainan, Taiwan. A build-up of gas in the decomposing sperm whale is suspected of causing the explosion. Gross. I don’t know why I remembered this.
- Google introduces Gmail, mail has never sucked so bad!
- Oldsmobile builds its final car ending 107 years of production. 😦
- Martha Stewart is sentenced to five months in prison plus five months in home confinement for lying to federal investigators. Oh Martha, she probably slocked someone to get her linens starched and pressed.
- Halo 2 a first person shooter first released on Xbox by Bungie Studios! This would be the video game that turned me into a “gamer.”
So that’s it, my favorite decade! Hoped you enjoyed that little hop into the Delorean for a trip down memory lane! That wasn’t so painful now, was it?
What was your favorite decade?